OCEAN provides a substantial track record and portfolio in its various research undertakings that spans two decades and its activities continue to have significant impact on practice, research and education across the creative disciplines. The association is in particular renowned for its sustained effort and work focusing on research-by-design across the creative disciplines. OCEAN has currently 21 active members, as well as 6 honorary members. 16 of the active and honorary members hold a PhD and a further 3 members will complete their PhD in 2015. 13 of the active and honorary members hold professorships and two have Prof. Emeritus status. 3 members direct currently active research centers.
OCEAN has instituted a series of thematically focused research areas and frameworks that are directed by its active research members. These research areas include:
- Advanced Computational Design | Digital Creativity _ Directors: Prof. Dr. Michael U. Hensel, Asst. Prof. Søren S Sørensen, and Joakim Hoen
- Architecture + Biology _ Directors: Prof. Dr. Michael U. Hensel and Research Fellow Defne Sunguroğlu Hensel
- Assembly Buildings _ Director: Dr. Pavel Hladik
- Auxiliary Architectures _ Directors: Prof. Dr. Michael U. Hensel, Research Fellow Defne Sunguroğlu Hensel, Dr. Pavel Hladik, and Jeffrey P. Turko
- Grounds and Envelopes _ Director: Jeffrey P. Turko
- Local Architectures | Local Urbanism _ Directors: Prof. Dr. Michael U. Hensel and Research Fellow Defne Sunguroğlu Hensel
- Matter / Energy Interaction _ Director: Christina Doumpioti
- Performance-oriented Architecture _ Directors: Prof. Dr. Michael U. Hensel and Research Fellow Defne Sunguroğlu Hensel
- Research by Design _ Directors: Prof. Dr. Michael U. Hensel, Prof. Dr. Fredrik Nilsson, and Prof. Dr. Birger R. Sevaldson
- Sound Environments _ Director: Dr. Natasha Barrett
- Systems-oriented Design _ Director: Prof. Dr. Birger R. Sevaldson
RESEARCH LEADERSHIP POSITIONS OF OCEAN MEMBERS AND HONORARY MEMBERS
LARGE RESEARCH ENVIRONMENTS
Ciudad Abierta de Amereida – Open City Ritoque
Honorary member of OCEAN Prof. Dr. David Jolly Monge is a co-founder and member of the Open City Ritoque, which serves the purpose of ongoing architectural experimentation through design and build projects.
Center for Biomimetics
Honorary member of OCEAN Prof. Emeritus Dr. George Jeronimidis was founding and running director of the Center of Biomimetics at the University of Reading.
CINARK – Center for Industrialized Architecture
Honorary member of OCEAN Prof. Dr. Anne Beim directs the Center for Industrialized Architecture at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts School of Architecture.
DR – Center for Design Research
Prof. Dr. Andrew Morrison is founding and current director of the Center for Design Research at the Oslo School of Architecture and Design.
RCAT - Research Center for Architecture and Tectonics
Prof. Dr. Michael U. Hensel is founding and current director of the Research Center for Architecture and Tectonics at the Oslo School of Architecture and Design.
ACDL - Advanced Computational Design Laboratory
Asst. Prof. Søren Sørensen directs the Advanced Computational Design Laboratory at the Oslo School of Architecture and Design.
Augmenti AS [formerly AR-Lab Norway]
Asst. Prof. Søren S. Sørensen is founding and board member of the AR-Lab Norway founded in 2007, now called Augmenti AS, valued in 2014 at 30 million NOK. Asst. Prof. Søren S. Sørensen initiated the research in Augmented Reality that let to the establishment of the AR-Lab Norway.
SIAL – Spatial Information Architecture Laboratory
Honorary member of OCEAN prof. Mark Burry was founding director of the Spatial Information Architecture Laboratory at RMIT. SIAL was founded in 2002. Prof. Burry directed SIAL until 2014.
SDRN - Systemic Design Research Network
Prof. Dr. Peter Jones, Dr. Harold Nelson, Dr. Alex Ryan, Prof. Dr. Birger Sevaldson founded the Systemic Design Research Network. The Network is member of the ISSS.
OCEAN | SEA – Sustainable Environment Association
Prof. Michael U. Hensel, Defne Sunguroğlu Hensel and Prof. Dr. Birger Sevaldson co-founded the Sustainable Environment Association.
STRONG RESEARCH ENVIRONMENTS
Architecture in the Making
Prof. Dr. Fredrik Nielson is one of the leaders of the ‘Architecture in the Making: Architecture as a Making Discipline and Material Practice’, a Strong Research Environment funded by the Swedish Research Council Formas 2011-16, which includes the schools of architecture at Chalmers Technical University, KTH Stockholm, Lund Technical University, and Umeå University.
Dr. Janne Reitan and Prof. Dr. Birger Sevaldson are amongst the founders of the scientific design research journal FORMakademisk. They are in the board of the journal and Dr. Janne Reitan is the editor-in-chief. Several members of OCEAN serve in the editorial board of the journal.